Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Getting A Custom-Made Wedding Dress

So in my search for a vintage-y wedding dress, I ended up getting a local designer to custom-make a gown for me. I had a bit of a search to find someone that was within my budget, and who I felt was on the same wavelength as me. Obviously, it was a big decision. Here are some of the things I learned, hopefully it can help someone else out!

Try On Some Dresses
The same as with other clothes, some dresses that look fantastic on those bridal magazine models can be less than impressive in the dressing room. And some dresses that look a little "meh" on the hanger can look fabulous on! If you're thinking about getting your wedding dress custom-made, I highly recommend trying on some dresses at a bridal salon to get a feel for what styles and fabrics are most comfortable and flattering. Before you head to the store, you can start by checking your own closet for inspiration-- is there a cocktail dress that always makes you feel sexy and beautiful? Do you feel best in a particular neckline or silhouette? Being confident in what looks best on you will make it easier to discuss design with a dressmaker.

I'd also suggest trying on a few different styles of dresses--you may discover a style that surprises you.

Find A Designer
I actually found my dress designer through online classifieds--and many designers or dressmakers do advertise this way, especially if they're just starting out. You can also ask friends and family members if they know of anyone who had a dress made and what their experience was like. I talked to a few designers to get a feel for what it would be like to work together, and to check out their portfolios.

Bring Pictures
Designers are by nature very visual people, and having some photographic examples of what you like and want can be very helpful in designing your wedding dress. Pictures will also give the designer a chance to discuss potential costs, and make suggestions on how a particular design might be altered to be most flattering for the bride.

Get References
If it's possible, talk to the wedding dress designer's previous clients, look through his or her portfolio, and see some of his or her work up close. Does the dress look finished and professional? Are there loose threads or strange bunching? Is the trim carefully applied, or is there a sloppy look about it?

If you do get a chance to speak with previous clients, some questions to consider might be
  • what was the designer like to work with?
  • was their estimate of costs accurate?
  • did he/she have trouble meeting deadlines?
  • were you able to reach the designer easily? Were phone calls and emails returned within a reasonable amount of time?
Consider The Costs
Some people may have the impression that having a wedding dress custom made should cost the same or be even cheaper than the gowns in bridal salons. This is totally not true! Making a wedding dress requires many hours of painstaking attention, and you should expect to pay the professional you've hire for both time and materials.

You should first and foremost be honest about your dress budget, to see what's possible and what isn't. Fabric choice, amount of lace and trim, and the type of dress you want can all impact the final price, and the designer may have some helpful suggestions on how the dress might be made for a lower cost.

Sketches, Samples, and Prototypes
You should expect to see some sketches of ideas, and be given fabric samples to choose from. Fabric choice not only impacts cost, but the drape and overall feel of the dress. Don't be afraid to talk to your designer if you have questions or concerns about your fabric choice.

After taking measurements, most designers will make a muslin prototype of the dress for the bride to try on. This allows the designer to adjust for fit, and gives you your first preview of what your dress will look like. My prototype was made from a bunch of scrap fabric in greys and browns, and I really had to use my imagination to try and picture it in white!

I was really happy with my decision to have my wedding dress made--I got exactly what I wanted, tailored to fit both me and my budget.

Are you having your dress made? By a professional designer, dressmaker, or by a family member or friend? What advice do you have for other bride thinking about this option?


No comments:

Post a Comment